How do I find out if my password is safe?
And is my info on the dark web?
Websites are literally hacked every day. Whether or not they contain your email address, and you favorite password in that hack, is not always very transparent.
Many of us have heard of the dark web. But what does that mean? Well, in very simplistic terms... the dark web is an overlay network that sits over what we call the internet. This overlay could be a series of VPN's or a network like Tor. Whatever the case may be, getting there and navigating it once you get there, is not always easy.
So how exactly do you search for your info on the dark web without becoming an expert in things which are probably not important to your daily internet life?
Well, there is good news. The good guys over at Mozilla made a really easy to use tool called the FireFox monitor. You can find it here.
Essentially, if your email that you are entering there has been involved in any hack since 2007 with leaked email addresses and passwords since the year 2007, it will show up.
How to use Mozilla's Firefox Monitor
Mozilla's free Firefox Monitor service helps you track which of your email addresses have been part of known data breaches.
- To start, head to the Firefox Monitor page.
- Enter an email address and tap Check for Breaches. If the email was part of a known breach since 2007, Monitor will show you which hack it was part of and what else may have been exposed.
- Below a breach, tap More about this breach to see what steps Mozilla recommends, such as updating your password.
- On the Firefox Monitor page, tap the Sign up for Alerts button.
- If you need to, create a Firefox account.
- Tap Sign in to see a breach summary for your email.
- At the bottom of the page, you can add additional email addresses to monitor. Mozilla will then send you an email at each address you add with a subject line "Firefox Monitor found your info in these breaches" when it finds that email address involved in a breach, along with instructions about what to do about following the breach.
Do you want protection for everyone in your company as part of you compliance program? We can help with live, and active searching tools which continuously monitor your entire organization! Hit the chat button below to get more info.